Search and apply for courses at universities, colleges and schools in Australia, the UK, the USA and Canada - StudyLink

« Don’t miss out on your course of choice: Important deadlines for your application | Main | Global: IBT paves the way to university success »

Part 3: Student Visas and Employment Opportunities

Congratulations! You have been accepted into your course. Now you need to get your travel documents in order.

To study in another country, almost all international students will need a student visa. These visas vary between countries, and the process will also depend on your citizenship. Your StudyLink counsellor can help you with this process – and this service is free for students.

If your course is longer than 3 months, you will need a Student Visa. This allows you to study in Australia, allows eligible dependent family members to accompany you, and your spouse can also study in Australia for up to 3 months. Once you have started your course, you can then apply for permission to work. If approved, you can work for a maximum of 20 hours per week while your course is in session, and unlimited hours during holidays.

To qualify for this visa, you need to show you have been accepted for a course, and have enough money to pay your tuition fees, international travel expenses and living expenses during your stay.

International students in Australia must also have health insurance – you can obtain Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC) either through your university or college, or arrange this yourself through a private insurer in Australia.

Student visa applicants from some countries need to prove they have an IELTS score relevant to their course, this is based on citizenship.

Candidates from visa-national countries (those who need a visa even for entry to the UK as a visitor) must apply for a student visa at the British Embassy/Consulate/High commission in their home country. Other candidates have the option of presenting the relevant documents to the Immigration Officer on entry, or may apply from within the UK to switch from another category to that of student.

Student visas are normally granted for an initial period of one year, usually determined by the length of the course to be studied. At least 15 hours a week must be spent in study and the student must be able to meet the cost of the course, maintenance and accommodation without working. However, those on student visas may work 20 hours per week during term time and 40 hours per week during holidays. Normally there are no restrictions on a spouse and children working in the UK, if the student will be studying longer than one year.

If your course of study is more than 18 hours a week, you will need a student visa. It is important to apply for this as far as possible in advance – ideally at least 3 months before your course starts. You will need to book an interview with the nearest US embassy or consulate. June, July, and August are the busiest months in most consular sections, and interview appointments are the most difficult to get during that period.

You will need to bring proof of your acceptance to study at the US college or university, transcripts and diplomas from any previous institutions attended, results of your TOEFL exam, financial evidence that shows you have sufficient funds to cover your tuition and living expenses during the period of study and additional documents.

F-1 status, which is the most common status for full-time international students, allows for part time, on-campus employment (fewer than 20 hours per week).

New Zealand
International students in New Zealand are issued a one-year permit, which must be renewed for each additional year of study. International students are allowed to work part-time for up to 20 hours in any given week (if in full time study) and full-time during the Christmas/New Year holiday break.

Once you have started your course, you will find there is much more to your international student life than just study. Use the opportunity to join social and sporting groups and make friends with fellow students from all over the world. You may be able to do voluntary work or explore a new hobby – all of which may also help to further your career when you finish your studies. The career counselling office in your university of college can help advise you on ways to develop your employment opportunities, whether it is back in your home country or in your country of study.

Keep in mind that while many countries will allow students to work, students cannot plan on income from part-time work as part of the finances in applying for a student visa. And remember, your StudyLink counsellor is there to guide you through every step of your journey. Ask us for more information.

Good luck!

Bookmark and Share


Hi,i m vijai ,i intrest to study in abroad. now only i got the chance from the study link . but i don't have money to pay tution . please tell how can i apply for the loan & visa

hello to all ,
i am khalid yousofi,and i am from Afghanistan,i have gratuated from economice faculty money and finace department,so i would like to learn my MBA at,so just i would like to advice me about my higher educatuion and i would be very appricaiated if you help me untill i could learn my higher education ,and i am looking for your kind response and usefull cosultancy ,thank you .

Hi,I have a General bachelor of Arts degree.I would like to cotinue my post graduate studies (Education of Sociology) in abroad.please let me know to get a scholarship or students loan to study above course.I would be grateful for your immediate attention.

Dear Sir,
I am a burmese refugee leaning in Malaysia. I am very welcome for Your invitation and I hope a day to be Your student but I am a scarecely holder of internationalize UNHCR recognized refugee card and I think my UNHCR ID card would not comprise or welcome under current principle of Education. Therefore, may I pray for latter if God bless in my future and for other students. by anyway I would like to know mandate detail.


Dear Sir,

Iam from Bangladesh. Iam completed B com in the subject of Accounting. Now I want to higher study in abroad like Europe/ canada,& also I want to bear my educational cost by part time job. Can u pls help me about this matter.

Thanks & Regards,
Md. Mustakim Nur Rahman

I want to study Hotel Management in your University. So pls send me a application form to my email, ths.

I want study Hotel Management in your University, So pls send me a application form to my email,ths.

When i'll get full details for my study.That i knew from your letter my interested subj are available only in Canada & nz land

Kindly provide me how much cost if am pay & period for that course.

pls send me the offer letter to my permanent address:

C-67,Cheran Maa Nagar
Vilankuruchi Post
Tamil Nadu,
South India

Otherwise pls do to reach me at any time on

00 91 99434 54079

hi i am a general surgeon with board degree of the arab council of medical specilizations,i am 33 years old married with 2 son,my wife is a pharmacist&i live in iraq, i need help in finding a subspeciality study in australia
releavant to my speciality

i like to study in us but i have no more soress to faord the expence in us pls grant me a study visa & work perment

i like to study in us but i have no more soress to faord the expence in us pls grant me a study visa & work perment

i'm holding bs in chemical engineering from one of open univercity in iran,and now i like to continue my field up to MS and more to PHD ,and i have 2 years exprience work in petrochemical; company in iran,plz guide me waht shouold i do for taking student visa from australia and what ducioments i should collect for you?
thanks for your copporation

hi,i am umer from pakistan.i want to study abroad.i want to be a mba age is 20.

Hi I am Laman Gurung from Nepal. I have applied for the diploma in Hospitality management in Holmes college. I have been aproaved for the visa and i am waiting for my visa. My class commences on 23 of July. How long will it take to get the visa??

i want to study in tha uk university plz u tell me setup i want to take edumation

i am Muhammad Akram,i am living in Pakistan,Quetta.And I have a General bachelor of Arts degree i want to do hotel management degree course in abroad but i have not give any test like ielts ,so i just want to know that if there is possible for me to take admission in new zealand

hi sir
im 24 years old medical student will finish my study in 6 months i wish i find away to complete my study in medicine and work abroad us or uk but i dont have enough money but i will work so much as i can pls let me know if my dream can be true thanks alot for ur help

i am living in Iran i like to join in your college and i like study of Art postgraduate. . i am very happy to send my curriculam vitae to this college. i hope u will select me to study in ur college in Europe or Australia .
thank u

i am graduate student and living in pakistan and wants to study in newzealand.
please guide me in which university or college i should study.

im living in 23 yearse student of university in iran.

resected sir i am living in india i m bachalor of arts in 2001.Now i wants to continue my studies in IT field.I wants to study in UK.What should i do?Pls guide me. yours faithfuly

hi sir
im 22 years old IT student will finish my study in 2years i wish i find away to complete my study in IT and work abroad us or uk but i dont have enough money but i will work so much as i can pls let me know if my dream can be true thanks alot for ur help

I want to study IT in your University. So pls send me a application form to my email, ths.

I am Piyush graduate in computer engineering from U.P. Technical University, Lucknow, India. I want join MS course in your university. It is very good facilitation to me to find information through NET. I am highly thankful to you.



i am shaikh Aasim from Mumbai i hav done diploma in hotel management an i am planning to do a degree in UK so can u provide me the details.

Hi, I am Ali

I would like to apply my application for hotel management / operation in Australia
please send me an application letter form to my E-mail.thk's

dear sir/madam
i hope that your team will be right.i am very thankful for your guidance and i wont to acqire knowledge about sutable university of collage for addministion In uk, that is not so expensive and eassy to migrate to and also its one branch present in canada.
I m hopeful that u will continue to guide me in this case.
thank u very much
Mr.Fazal Aman Khan

The comments to this entry are closed.

Bookmark and Share

Subscribe Now

Get your monthly Student Adventures update for free!


Study in the UK
Study in Australia
Study in US
Study in Europe
Study in Netherlands
MBA Courses

StudyLink Discussion Forums

Sponsored Links

Higher Education Blog Directory